The Latino Coalition specializes in Parent Leadership through it’s nationally recognized program, “Parents on a Mission” (POM).
POM is a Parent Leadership curriculum for community organizations to empower parents to win the loyalty of the hearts and minds of their children as the best practice for preventing kids from choosing negative lifestyles.
- POM suggests communities focus on the problems that create rebellious & defiant youth – not only on the problems that they create.
- More empowered Parents–not more youth programs–are the key to preventing children from choosing a negative and rebellious lifestyle.
• Recruiting and training more parent leaders in the home – Not more policeman on the streets.
• Recruiting and training more parent mentors – Not only youth mentors.
• Direct more community resources in prevention – Not only intervention and Law Enforcement suppression.
POM Empowers Parents with the following Principles:
1. Parent Personal Growth – Emotional process is the key to growth, not more knowledge of parenting skills.
2. The Proper Use of Parent Authority – The single most undermined principle of parenting.
3. The Proper Use of Parent Discipline – The single most underused principle of parenting.
4. Community Building – Raising good children means raising good citizens.
5. Reconciliation – Resolving past and present issues that nurture family peace and progress.
6. Loyalty – The golden secret to immunity from community peer pressure and negative life choices.